Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Pulicat Lake

Walk on a deserted beach on a hot Sunday morning. Exploring coniferous forests. Standing rooted to the spot (literally) in the middle of the lagoon. Examining the marine lifeforms. And finally crossing the lagoon in style! All in a days work for spook and devil. Oh wait… did I mention the refreshing bath in the middle of a field under a pump set?

Pulicat lake – the next destination, following the success of the vedanthangal trip. Situated 65 km north of Chennai, its the second biggest brackish water lagoon in India. A warning before I begin…. Those who saw the pics of the previous trip, please don’t expect scenic beauties of that type. Because this place was dirty! But what the place lacked in scenic beauty was compensated by adventure. The trip started with a boat ride from the mainland to the island across the lagoon. Once we reached the other side we saw a strange sight.



A buffalo cart! Being driven across the lagoon!! Immediately we decided that our return trip across the lagoon would be on foot! But that was much later. Now we had the whole place to explore. Our nose for adventure led us to a beach with coniferous forests nearby.



There were lots of fishing boats going about. So we decided to watch them fish at close quarters. Besides the heat was rising and the coolest place to be was the water.







As I kept looking, I suddenly found my slippers stuck (yes I went into the water with my slippers on). Apparently there was lots of clay on the bottom and I had a tough time getting my slippers free. Yes, you can see me grimacing while trying to free it.



Now that is a LOT of slush…. And it lies throughout the bed



We could’ve spent much more time but we were waiting to wade back to the mainland. And that was truly an adventure. We were planning to wade through unknown waters with a blackberry and a digicam on us. Now that’s taking a risk. Just because we saw some buffaloes doing it. Bull……!

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE NOW PRESENT THE GREAT CROSSING




On the way back we hit a farmhouse on the road and refreshed ourselves with a bath under a powerful water pump.



And finally I found what I was looking for. Birds…..!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! am speechless after the great crossing!

Guys! to tell you the truth, my respect and admiration for both of you have gone up by several degrees after watching the video.

As am an ardent lover of adventure myself, as much as I envy you guys, I am happy cos it is so my type!

I strongly believe in the truism that goes, "Adventure is worthwhile in itself."

daffy.

berty ashley said...

love the video!!!

what a synchronization!!

when he sings 'hey o who said that?' we have devil entering teh scene..

and when the line says 'ive seen the toughest around' i turn back and give a thumbs up to teh cam!!

best part??? when devil rotates the view 360 degrees and just like the scene the music is also dizzying with eddies synth solo!!!

Unknown said...

really cool u guys. loved the pics and the video